Contact Us

Please fill out the form below and our attorney will contact you.


Our Office

The Hague Convention On The Civil Aspects of International Child Abduction

Child Custody and Visitation

“What do I do if my ex took my child overseas?”

This is a frightening question we receive in matters involving international child custody disputes. International child custody disputes are more frequent than many think. Deportation, disputes over relocation involving work or extended family, and numerous other circumstances can lead to one parent violating a custody order and “abducting” a child.

While international child custody disputes are complicated, at Faulhaber Family Law, LLC, we have extensive experience in international child custody dispute matters and child abduction cases.

Start By Talking To Faulhaber Family Law, LLC. We Can Help.

We clearly explain the law to our clients and how we can help in international child custody disputes. You can reach us for a consultation at our Alpharetta, Georgia, office by calling 678-436-5126.

You can also find more information about the Hague Convention on International Child Custody below, which may be the international treaty that applies in your situation.

If you are wondering about your options if your custody dispute involves different states within the U.S., the Uniform Child Custody Jurisdiction and Enforcement Act (UCCJEA) will likely apply. You can read more about interstate relocation here.

What Is The Hague Convention? And Why Does It Matter To Me?

The Hague Convention on the Civil Aspects of International Child Abduction is a treaty that numerous countries have signed. By signing, countries agree to enforcing the prompt return of children who have been abducted from their country of “habitual residence.” An international court is not going to determine what is in the best interests of a child. Instead, the treaty is intended to return a child to his or her place of habitual residence, as determined by a court that has legal jurisdiction.

However, international abduction cases can be complicated. Some parents may contest which country is the child’s habitual residence, for example. And while many countries are signatories to the Hague Convention, not all are. In some cases, other treaties may apply.

A Lawyer Who Knows International Custody Disputes

Respected Georgia attorney Tamar Faulhaber has been providing outstanding representation for parents involved in international child abductions and international custody disputes for over 20 years. Call us to begin protecting your child custody rights by calling us at 678-436-5126 or telling us about your legal issue online.